Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Jojo's `Cruel' Punishment

I think I just meted out a most `cruel' punishment on Jojo.

No, I didn't beat him up. I found out that for dogs like him, corporal punishment doesn't work. Although I wasn't sure what I did would correct him, but at that time, I just had to discipline him and that seemed suitable for the `crime' he committed.

Or so I thought.

The `crime': Jojo chewed up my little packets of tissues, made a mess of the bathroom, after attempting to chew other bits of papers and despite several warnings beforehand!

The punishment: I brought Jelly out for a walk without Jojo!

Let me tell you, my Js crave for their freedom and absolutely look forward to their space and time beyond our gate - whether it is legitimate walk on leash by me or a member of the family, or illicit wanderings as a result of escaping out.

Everytime when they hear the `clinkling' sounds of the choke collars, they get really excited -they jump up and down, tails wagging frantically, tongues out and saliva drooling (well, almost).

So imagine Jojo's dismay when I only brought out one little collar attached to one leash and then placed the chain onto Jelly's neck. Jojo looked a little surprised but still he tried his luck, he followed us to the gate and even stood right infront of it!

I ordered him to sit, to which he obeyed. I then unlocked the gate and opened it slightly ajar, enough for Jelly and myself to sqeeze through, and then closed it quickly before Jojo could follow.

Immediately, he barked loudly, and the barking contained a little howling (crying) tone. He continued barking and barking even as we walked a little away. He also ran around the compound as if there was way to come out.

Jelly and I only walked for less than five minutes, for the wet ground wasn't condusive after hours of heaving rain pour. When we came back I just touched Jojo's head, said good nite and then brought Jelly back into the house.

Some time later, I was wondering whether it was a right punishment. Would it have any repurcussion effect? Would it only serve tio make Jojo feel more jealous of Jelly, thinking that I favour the small one and neglect him?

sigh.. i really don't know what is the effective and right punishment method for Jojo anymore..

at the same time, I feel I cheated Jelly too. I didn't really mean to bring her for a walk, but merely using her as a way to punish Jojo.

this mom is guilty.... again :(

No comments: