Friday, July 01, 2005

J Tagged to be `The Cook Next Door'

My 1st post in July is not on my Js but on my culinary experience! Hehehe

Ok, it's called... (drumroll) MEME - ThE CooK NeXt DooR

Thanks to my creative friend and blogger boo-licious (her masak-massak blog is real cool so you should check it out), I became tagged to this cooking questionnaire!!

Ok, I shall attempt to answer the best I can.

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?
When I was sent to a boarding school in Singapore at 12. I started frying eggs and cooking instant noodles myself. Quite simple things to do I thought and I did it well. I never progressed much until I went to Uni in England and experimented with some local (as in Chinese/Malaysian) dishes myself. Thought I did quite well.. ;)

Who had the most influence on your cooking?
My grandmother, who in her younger days was a good cook; my granddad, who was creative in his limited cooking moments. Both my dad and mom don't really cook although dad has better interest. My grandmother used to come out with many authentic Hakka dishes and I just loved them. My granddad had his way of cooking delicious Maggie Mee, and egg on steam rice.

Do you have an old photo as “evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?
Sorry no, I hardly cooked much also.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest let down?
Unfortunately, I don't own a prized gadget in the kitchen but I like a good, sharp knife and I don't mind investing in a good set. I also look forward to own a good coffee making machine.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!
Off hand I can think of two but people have tried them and some have followed. First, I eat sharkfins with mustard, introduced by my uncle and it really taste delicious. Secondly I like to have my tea and coffee mixed together when mixed with condensed milk but this is also a tradition of the Cantonese although not many people do so these days.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don’t want to live without?
Three are too few to list!! I can't do without eggs or any yummy egg dishes, thick Chinese soup and Sashimi (raw salmon Jap style) Well, besides these, there are many others too like kuay teow, bread, fruits etc etc.. I think I can simply list 30!

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer?
Have to think about it.. maybe later..

THREE QUICKIES:
Your favorite ice-cream… : Haagen Daz's Rum&Raisin/Belgian Chocalate

You will probably never eat… : Dogs, monkey brains, snake blood and all those so-called `exotic' stuff Chinese eat!

Your own signature dish… : So far haven't developed a `signature' dish but I'm quite good with frying steak, grilled fish and braised mixed vegetable.

Who do you want most to cook you dinner?
My mom. Yeah she only cooked once for me while she visited me in Uni in England.

Three people to tag:
I would propose Melanzane, Chipmunkrock and my sister who doesn't blog. (sorry my blogger friends, still have not learned to link you from here) Or anyone who fancies doing this cute MEME (whatever it means) ;p

1 comment:

boo_licious said...

thanks so much for filling it up.