Saturday, July 30, 2005

How Can This Be??

I am shocked and saddened. That `experiment' just now has proven one thing that is quite unbelievable...

Jojo is my dad's dog - not mine!!

I know Jojo has been very close with dad and listens to him a lot. But I always have no doubt that I am still the closest person to him.. after all, I am his `mommy'!

However, I was proven wrong and I still couldn't believe it!

We were having our cheese and wine - dad and I - at the balcony after dinner and the two Js were hovering around. Then suddenly dad suggested that why not we do an `experiment' to see who Jojo likes more.

You see, for some time, he had been boasting that Jojo is now his dog and I always refuted that. So, confident that I will no doubt win, I agreed. The experiment was quite simple: we each would bring our chair to either corner of the balcony and sit there. And we will call out to Jojo and see who he will go to.

When I called him first, he walked steadily towards me and I let out a winsome smile. Then dad called him and immediately he walked towards him!

From then on, it was just disastrous for me.. When I called Jojo, he just ignored me and stayed with dad. I had to call him for so many times before he decided to entertain me and walk to me again, slowly and somehow reluctantly.

But, everytime when dad called him, he immediately went to him!

Still in denial that I have lost, I said that maybe he liked my dad's corner so we swapped seats. Jojo and Jelly were looking at something over the banister and when I called him, there was no response.

I called for almost a minute and he just ignored me. Then my dad said, with a smirk on his face that if he called Jojo, Jojo would go to him.

And surely, he demonstrated it! He just called: `Jojo' gently, and the dog turned and walked to my dad.

I was incredulous.. How could he ignore me, his mommy like this? But heed my dad's call?

So my dad started it again, telling me that he has proven once and for all that Jojo is indeed His dog (while Jelly is mine).

I felt like crying (but of course I didn't) How could Jojo betray me like this? It was me who bought him home, took him to the vet to do all the health precaution, bought him his meals, snacks and loads of toy, played with him, took him to Obedience Class (he graduated), bathe him once a week and get rid of the ticks on his body.. generally, taking good care of him. In other words, I am his mommy who has been responsible in bringing him up!

As for dad, yes, no doubt he has spent much time with Jojo whenever he is at home, bringing him for walks and playing with him, but that's about it.

So why is Jojo taking to him more than me?

But then when I think again, I must admit that I have not been spending so much time with Jojo lately. Comparing to Jelly, indeed you can say Jojo was sort of being neglected. Mainly due to the problem that when Jojo comes to my room, he can be so destructive! (ie. turning my bin upside down, chewing stuff in the toilet)

Like the MKA Obedience Class' chief trainer said, every dog has a pack leader. And now it seems Jojo's is my dad. Maybe it is not a bad thing also.. at least he obeys dad and behaves better when dad is around..

Just hope it doesn't mean he loves me less though.. :(

3 comments:

Chipmunkrock said...

maybe Jojo was attracted to the smell of cheese on your dad's hand?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I for one know that if one member of my family has a piece of food in her hand, don't bother calling him to you - food is King! He'd give you a look, with a big grin, then go back to observing the piece of food intently. One track mind, ;P

jesscet said...

Thanks girls but the thing is neither of us had any food in our hand and both of us had been eating the cheese. So Jojo actually chose my dad over me! :(