Sunday, October 02, 2005

Goodbye, Forrest...

October began on a sad note.

ML's family dog Forrest died suddenly on Saturday morning. From the little that I gathered, she went into what seemed like a fit - trembling wildly - at 7-ish in the morning. The family was helpless as the vet they know of is not opened yet. By the time they tried to send her to a 24-hour vet at about 9, it was too late.. she couldn't make it.

Later I found out I had a missed call from ML at 7-something. I was sleeping still and my phone was on silent mode. When I woke up near noon, I was stunned when I saw a sms from him saying that Forrest had died.

I called and I felt terrible.. I was wondering If I had received that call then and gave them a 24-hour vet no, could Forrest have been saved? ML's sister told me briefly what happened. Apparently Forrest had an heart attack according to the vet and it was heart wrenching for them to see her suffered in so much pain before she died.. Jia Ling was so distraught that she couldn't speak on the phone..

Forrest just became a mother of five adorable pups exactly one month ago. (refer to an earlier
post with pictures) And now the pups have lost their mommy. And Pebbles too, her best mate since young.

This happened so sudden that everyone in the family was totally devastated. Dog-loving friends who knew Forrest and saw how she grew from a tiny pup last Christmas to becoming a mother a month ago, were all saddened and shocked. I had a heavy heart the whole day.. I have always had a soft spot for Forrest as to me, she is the prettier counterpart of Jelly. They are of the same breed - Miniature Schnauzer.


It was tragic.. she hadn't even reached her first birthday yet. I remember she was quite a fragile puppy but with lots of TLC by ML's family, she grew to be stronger.. I couldn't help but blame it on her `premature motherhood'. The pups were the result of mating on her FIRST heat and I think giving birth and motherhood had taken a toll on her health..

But it's no use to speculate now. Whatever it is, it is the family of Forrest that is most afffected and sad.. and I can feel for them. Losing a beloved pet is like losing a family member, especially one who is still so young.

Rest in peace, Forrest. We will all miss you.

No comments: