Saturday, October 08, 2005

Re-training Step 1: Feeding Habit


Ahhh...It's a such a `luxurious' Saturday. From the moment I woke up till now, I have not left the house.. Yeah, one of those rare Sat. where I have no assignments, meetings, other social commitments.. You can say its the day-in with the Js.

Trainer from MKA came just now and first spent some time getting to know Jojo to figure out his chracters and temperaments. Jojo was initially very guarded and even barked at him and his friend but good news is, trainer thinks Jojo is perfectly normal and not problematic. But just naughty and not properly trained. Also because of Jelly's presence perhaps, Jojo tries to be put on his dominant side - thus chewing on things and refuses to comply with our command. And he has developed some very bad habits which is my negligence also :(

As MKA's dog-training philosophy does not subsribe to beating at all, the trainer said we have to be very firm in our `no' and it could be accompanied by some long banging or throwing things NOT at the dog, just to get him to know that we mean business.

As to always running out of the gate, we need to condition him to obey the command to go into his kennel. And the trainer suggest starting with linking it to his eating habit. Now, that is something I must say I never did properly. We just leave the food there and let Jojo take his own sweet time to eat it up.. it could be overnight! But now, the trainer said we must choose fixed time - he suggested morning since I go to work late and place the food bowl inside his kennel for only 5 minutes. That's it. If he doesnt eat up after 5 minutes, the bowl will be gone and only back the next day.

Also, he asked us to bring the food bowl from the main door and not the kitchen door so that Jojo will be following me from the front garage to the back. We are also asked to give all the treats in the cage. Basically, this is to get him to like to go into his `house'.

It does make sense.. And guess it's not too late. The trainer, who obviously takes joy and pride in training dogs, will come next Saturday again to monitor the progress and step by step teach us how to train him.

Again, as I've more or less known, he said why Jojo is behaving in such disobedient way is to seek attention. And I must admit that I have not been spending much time with him, and Jelly being there doesn't help. Together with the new eating habit I must play more with Jojo too.

As for Jelly, we will also start feeding her in her crate. But guess I have to concentrate on Jojo more for the time being.

No comments: