Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Finally! - I Did It!

`It' refers to MyKad (for non-Malaysians, it is our new `smart' identity card which contains a microchip that stores various data)

I know, you would think it's no big deal for every Malaysian above 12 has to apply for one - and preferbly by end of this year so we can get it free of charge.

Well, because I am such a procrastinator these days and on top of that, an `owl' who has problems getting up earlier than 10am, imagine the mental struggle I went through pondering and planning when would be that one good day I would get up and make my way to a JPN branch to apply for the card.

So I let time slipped and finally it was now less than three months to the deadline (after that we have to pay some hefty amount just to apply for it can u imagine?), and both my parents and myself were reminded we have to do it like real soon. First we planned to go together but I found out that they have preferential treatment as they are senior citizens.

I printed out the whole list of branches in F.T. and Selangor from the Net so we know where we can go. And we decided we would do it separately since they could afford to go late.

A cousin-in-law had advised i should get up at 5:30am and be there by 6:30am so i can be the first in the queue. Which means i needed to wait standing for 1 1/2 hour before the office open!! I thought it was a bit too crazy/kiasu! Well he reached there 6:45am and was second to get the number.. Good for him!

We wanted to go last Wednesday or Thursday but we procrastinated again... anyway, to cut the story short, WE DID IT FINALY! My parents went on their own on Monday, leaving the house at 10:30am and managed to come home by 11:30am! They only spent 20 mins there!

Inspired by their `feat', I decided to do it the next day since Monday night I came home earlier and could sleep earlier. Well, this `owl' still ended up sleeping at 1am (which was really early) but set my alarm clock at 7am.

But I did wake up (about 10 minutes after the alarm went off) and got ready to go. Since I wasn't sure how to get to the branch, my dad an early riser was kind enough to accompany me and be my driver. Well, what we DIDN'T expect was the heavy traffic at that hour.. I mean i never drove to work THAT early.. it was 7:45am and the highway was totally congested! (duh! I heard some of u sniggering)

Anyway, so we spent one hour and five minutes on the road just from my place to Maluri. We reached at 8:55am and lo and behold, still got number and I was 75 numbers away. So we had breakfast nearby and then waited for another hour or so, sms-ing and reading newspaper.

The actual application process was so quick! Within minutes everything was done, including a photo shoot which I peeped at the computer and was satisfied with what I saw :p Oh, my brownish coloured hair was not an issue at all. ;)

If I would have driven to work after that, I would have reached office earlier than usual. Yeah, EARLIER.:p But we went home, dropped my dad of course and I took a shower and rested a bit before driving out to work again and met with ANOTHER massive jam due to a road block causing traffic going to KL being diverted to Federal highway. And met a crazy and rude bus driver behind kept honking and aggitating me for me not letting him cut in like a mad driver. I felt like taking a big hammer to smash his head up but all I did was grit my teeth and endure... (and prayed)

But it has been a fruitful day though long and tiring. At night after work and a short 1/2 hour heavenly massage, I joined the International Student Ministry's English class celebration dinner at Sunway. Well, I was asked to help to coordinate some games for them which I thought of two at the last minute. It was really good catching up with some of the Chinese students whom I knew and also meeting new friends. I hope more ppl from church and our peer group would reach out to them for they really like to speak in English!

I also met a fellow blogger Yvonne and gave her my blog url. Hope she remembers to visit Jess'2 Js. ;)

1 comment:

lynnee said...

i did mine at putrajaya. everything kautim within 2 hours :)