Monday, October 24, 2005

Pre-Leave Stress...

Have been feeling quite stressed out lately - there're 1001 things in my mind and things to do and plan. It's kinda ironic because I am actually stressed because I'm going on a holiday!

You see, my parents have planned to join my aunt/uncle and cousin for a trip to the historical city of Xian, China. All of us had not been there before (though parents have been to many other parts of China) Since was invited to go with them, I won't let this opportunity slip. It was one of the `must-visit' places on my list of China's destinations. (check fellow blogger Chipmunk's blog for his series of posts on his recent trip there)

Now the `problem' was the trip would coincide with Deepavali and Hari Raya hols, and to be fair, normally I only take leave for CNY and Christmas so that my Muslim colleagues (many of them!) should have the priority for Raya. But my dear editor was so kind that he signed my leave form, upon a promise that I would send in as many stories as I could before I go on leave!

So that's what I've been doing. For the last two weeks or so, I had never worked so hard - submitting at least one story a day - (mostly full-length features, bearing in mind also the time/effot I go out to get these stories). Since the revamp, Buzz (the entertainment section of MM that I write for) has increased the local pages so my stories have been out really fast. Ok, should not complain on this I know but it means I have to work faster and harder!

Anyway, now I have two more stories to write up (keeping finger crossed that no last minute stuff will crop up) which I think I could handle for the next one-and-a-half day. I hope to come home early on Wednesday as I am leaving on an early flight the next morning. Still haven't started packing while my mother began a week ago! I just digged out some woolen sweaters as I heard it's quite cold now in Xian.

I will fly alone to Xiamen in Fujian province and joined my dad there. Staying over night there, we will fly to Xian the next morning (even earlier flight!!) and join my mom and relatives who would be flying directly from KL. Yeah, its a long story why my flight is a day earlier. In fact, my trip wasn't confirmed till last week as MAS had all those rules and restrictions for bookings especially during this holiday peak period. I needed to come back by Nov 4 (some commitment that weekend i don't want to miss) My mom and relatives will stay till the following week and they are flying Business Class!

Then there'll more traveling to do after tha. I begin work on Nov 7 and on the next day, I will be going to Chiangmai for a two-day-trip under invitation of HBO, for its new HBO Original Series called `Rome'. I was wondering why choose Chiangmai as a media trip but obviously it would be too big a budget for HBO to send us journos from this region to Italy, where the series was filmed. But nevertheles I'm pretty excited since I've never been there before.

Apparently HBO is known to be a good host who pampers the media. Already we're promised 5-star hotel and single room! We are bought travel insurance and the PR called to ask for details like whether I don't eat certain food or prefer smoking/non-smoking rooms. She will be coming to office to meet me tomorrow.

Gosh.. looks like the busy year-end schedule has already begun - work, church activities and personal stuff. But I hope to take it one step at a time and not be overwhelmed by it...

p.s. Forgot to mention that Jojo's 2nd stage of training is not to be allowed into the house. The trainer has created a new `toy' for him. It's just an old table cloth which he loves to chew. So now when I play with him and when he won't let go of the cloth, I am to use some treat to make him drop the cloth for the treat. So far, he is doing quite well. The trainer thinks Jojo is a smart dog. :)

No comments: