Friday, October 14, 2005

Dare to dream and reach for your GOAL!

nb: no spoilers so safe to read on...

I didn't have an invite for Goal!'s premier so I pestered my movie-writing colleagues and thankfully a colleague who had the invite but was too busy to go passed his to me. Although I won't claim to be a football freak but I've been following international football esp. the World Cup closely since 1986. And some how this movie is one that I really wanted to watch!

I was not disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Before I go on, I must say that even those who don't like football or watch the game would still enjoy the movie. It is a very human kinda movie - about personal struggles, dreams and aspirations and the human spirit. It covers family relationship, friendship, a nice little love story and of course, the focus of the film - that is the world of football!

The lead actor is not well known but he plays the role of a young Mexican immigrant to U.S. and then chased his dreams to Newscastle United with aplomb. In fact, he physique and mannerism is quite convincing as a real footballer. And it helps he's kinda cute (think young Michael Owen) too! ;

Hmm.. I wonder what Newscastle United got out of it (as part of the deal) as the Club is being used as the background of the movie. And yes, Alan Shearer was there, didn't have much of a speaking role and looking more bald!

Watch out for the special cameo appearances of Beckham, Zidane and Raul. Again, I wonder whether they get paid for those `split second' roles.

Anyway, I am not giving away any spoilers except to say, cliche and predictable it may be, it was still thrilling and maybe a little grudge is that there could longer time shown on the football pitch. (but in that case, non football lovers may get bored) Anyway, personally I highly recommend this show for ALL - football fans or not.

Read that this Goal movie would be a trilogy - the next two sequels will see the protagonist transferred to Real Madrid and finally making it to the World Cup! The last film is supposed to coincide with the real World Cup 2006 in Germany next summer!

Can't wait - for both the sequels as well as the REAL THANG - the once in four years mega sports event!

No comments: