Monday, August 08, 2005

The Haze and the Strays

Usually at night, the air in my housing area is pretty nice and refreshing, and I always enjoy walking Jojo and Jelly at that time.

But tonight is different, thanks (and no thanks) to the persistent haze that has been enveloping the Klang Valley for some days now.

Yeah, I have to confess I had not been taking them for walks for some times (dad and Wati had been doing the honour) so I was quite looking forward to bring them out after a late dinner just now.

I had almost forgotten about the haze until I stepped outside my gate. Well, it was better than during the day but there was still a tinge of burnt smell in the air. And the night sky was.. well, hazy.

Oblivious to the dropped in air quality, Jojo and Jelly were as eager as ever. So went ahead with them and we did the usual route to see Jasor. Poor Jasor was wagging his tail and very excited to see us, walking about in the cage. I patted him and he looked longingly at me.. I really don't how long - it could be weeks even - that he had not been out of his `house'!! :(

After saying bye to Jasor, we just walked back home and normally we would walk on towards the other direction but I just didn't feel like being in the haze longer, soI cut the walk and came home.

All in, I think our walk took about 10 minutes only.. Sorry, Jojo and Jelly. Blame the haze.

Hmmm I wonder whether the haze could affect dogs' health, especially those like Jojo which usually stay outdoor. And if so, what type of ailments would they have?

Speaking of dogs (like this blog doesn't do :p), last night for supper, dad ended up feeding five stray dogs that came to the outdoor area of the restaurant where we ate.

These dogs were often seen around there. Poor things, they looked so dishevelled and thin, and afraid also. We didn't have much to offer them - since we ordered claypot lo shi fun (their specialty) and some pork ribs which were very salty. We gave the bones and some of the less salty meat to the strays. Amazingly they never fought among themselves...

I sometimes wonder why are there so manys stray dogs (or even cats) in our city. Only one reason I can think of. The root is many irresponsible owners who abandon their pets (either newborn or adults) and then they just survive on their own and go on to reproduce more strays!
Looking at the number of strays in my area, I think we need more organisations like PAWS and SPCA to help these animals.. but already such welfare organisations are in dire need of financial and humans resources. The better solution would be to eduate of the mindset of the population towards the way they treat animals.

Prevention is better than cure. And if only the government also believe in the importance of animal welfare.

Just look at Jasor's owners and you would know what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey.I think we're really family. Darn.. i always feed those stray doggies in KL. My heart grieves when i see dead doggies get run over on the road. I really dont understand how some people can abandon doggies when they're such lovely creatures. not talking about those that eat them!
Do pray for everyone to love DOGs and eventually i want to run RSPCA and look after all the dogs and not putting them to sleep if they're not ill.