Monday, August 22, 2005

Chomping On Cable

Something unbelievable had happened! Jelly has become destructive for no particular reason. She has chewed up (gasp) the cable wire of a floor lamp into pieces, and attempted to eat up the lamp switch which is attached to the wire!

I should have let her remain in her crate after mom had a hard time putting her in. But because I won't be sleeping (me= owl) for a while more, I thought of having her as company in my room.
But as I got engrossed on the Net, Jelly was restless and even barked wanting to go out.. So absent-mindedly I let her out of the room, not thinking of any consequences of leaving her on her own devices. Then, I more or less forgot the time chatting with Lynn online and multi-tasking on the PC.

Suddenly I heard some weird noises outside my door. Oh Jelly, I remembered and opened my door. She rushed in and had something black in her mouth! It was a light switch with wire on both sides! She has severed the thick cable!! Shocked, I screamed at her and she ran!

With that light switch in my hand, I could not immediately identify which lamp it came from. So I went downstairs and checked. All the lamps were fine. Then I came up again and Bingo! it was from the floor lamp at our family hall just outside my room!

I didn't hit Jelly but just grabbed and placed her back to her crate. It was quite unbelievable what she did! And I thought she was well-behaved all the while.. To think of it, the things she chewed up though fewer than Jojo, were usually more `substantiate' objects - such as a coffee table book, my whole pot porri, and now the cable and light switch.

And then a scary thought flashed through my mind: If the floor lamp was on, could Jelly have been electrocuted!?

No comments: