Sunday, January 28, 2007

All I Once Held Dear...

All I once held dear, built my life upon

All this world reveres, and wars to own

All I once thought gain I have counted loss

Spent and worthless now, compared to this


Knowing you, Jesus, knowing you,

There is no greater thing

You're my all, you're the best

You're my joy, my righteousness

And I love you, Lord


Now my heart’s desire is to know you more

To be found in you and known as yours

To possess by faith what I could not earn

All-surpassing gift, of righteousness


Oh, to know the power of your risen life

And to know you in your suffering

To become like you in your death, my Lord

So with you to live and never die


The above is one of my favourite modern hymns.. the lyrics speak volume. And they meant even more as I sang it this morning at church..


As I rededicated my life and my all to the Lord the beginning of this year, I am determined to not let this `decision' wane.. it happened always in the past. And what's more powerful than being reminded again that this life is but a passing phase.

Why are we so concerned about things of this world - be it pleasure, possessions or positions.. Most of us have more than enough but enough is never enough.. and it seems the norm to better ourself or to seek for career fulfilment and success. And that has become our focus and priority in life.

God and the Kingdom's matters meanwhile, become more like our favourite pastime..

Pastor pointed out quite correctly that in most churches, there is a gap of worshippers between 30-40 years-old. That's because they are just too busy either climbing the career ladder or building up a family..

No, I don't think Pastor is being extreme or putting us on a guilt trip.. i believe the key words here are PRIORITY and OBJECTIVE. What are our priorities and objectives in life? A high-flying position? an affluent lifestyle? or just to enjoy and be happy?

But.. as it is written in Scriptures, uttered by our Lord Himself is this: What use is it if we gain the whole world but forfeit our soul?


Everything we invest on earth should have eternal value.. something that is pleasing to God. The academic qualifications, wealth or positions we accomplished here is nothing compared to what he wanted us to do: "LOVE GOD AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER" - which can be translated into serving and proclaiming His Gospel.

The fact that so many had fallen short was because we are basically weak, and that's why we need to come to draw ourselves closer to our Lord by reading His Word and praying, everyday.


I know this blog has not had much spiritual content in it so far. But in this new year, I intend to blog more on my spiritual thoughts, as a child of God.

Well, I thought of starting a separate blog.. but then I thought why should I compartmentalise my life.. I'm a Christian first and foremost and as much as I'm a physical and emotional being, I'm also a spiritual being.

So yeah, I think I should not feel shy or ashame to post about the greatest thing about my life and the most meaningful relationship I have.. and I hope that whoever who reads it, Christian or not, would somehow be encouraged or inspired in one way or another.

Like what I had blogged some time back.. there is a time for everything. And now, I believe the time has come for me to write more substantial and heartfelt posts in my blog..

But of course, don't rule out me posting frivolous and shallow stuff here as well. After all, I'm still me - a complex being that is often a paradox. :)

No comments: