Thursday, September 29, 2005

Praying for the Next Step..

I know I've promised my dad not to blog about Jasor and his `prisoner's life' anymore. But I just feel so helpless and upset and in a dilemma with the whole situation that I need to share it.

For more than two months now, my neighbour's Goldie has been inside his cell 24/7 - yes, he never gets to come out at all. Each time when I brought my dogs for walk and passed that house, I felt so sorry for the dog, which always look so down and trodden.

Last week when I petted him, I felt there's a lump behind his ear... hopefully it's nothing serious.

The lump was still there just now when I brought my two Js for a walk. Jasor as usual welcomed me with that longing look in his eye. Poor thing, even the water bowls were all empty. So I decided to go back home to fetch some snacks and water for him.

I got a `packed supper' for Jasor and brought water too to refill his bowl. I had a urge to speak to someone from the family but looked like no one was in sight although the lights were on.

And just as I was feeding Jasor, a car approached the gate. I looked, it was the lady of the house. But she purposely did not look my way and after driving in, quickly closed the automatic gate. I could have walked inside but remembering the confrontational incident last time, I did not want to an unwelcome guest. So I waited outside the gate till she came down from the car and called out to her and asked whether I could speak to her.

Straight-faced, she looked at me with an unfriendly and almost despicable expression. When I started speaking, she already walked towards the house. I managed to ask her to consider to give away or sell Jasor if they do not want him, but she said: `no need' and then disappeared from my sight.

Obviously she didn't want to entertain me at all. And whatever I say, she won't give a hoot.

Not one who gives up easily, I still wanted to speak to the edest son who knew my blog url and the supposed owner of Jasor. I rang the doorbell a few times. No one answered, though i swear I saw people moving about inside the house.

I continued to feed Jasor with various dog biscuits and he was getting very hyper and excited. Perhaps he had never been given such treats.

As I was walking home, my heart felt very heavy. I wanted to help free Jasor but I don't know how I could do it. The best way would be to influence the owner, though it is unlikely they would change their attitude and treatment towards their dog. I just hope they understand that if they neglect him and lock him up like this, it is very cruel and they should give Jasor up to another family who wants him.

Just shared my burden with Messy Christian online and she suggestted starting a `Free Jasor' campaign but it would create a ruckus! While it could be an effective idea, I don't want to stir things up as I'm living in my dad's house and he's actually a devloper of this housing project. He has already warned me not to pursue this matter further.

So we decided we should pray about it. Messy said she would help start a prayer campaign on her blog and get her readers and fellow bloggers involved. Those of you who want to help Jasor please do join in the prayer campaign.

Sorry dad, I can't just let this be. I won't `create trouble' if I could help it. I will pray to God for wisdom and guidance on how to help the poor dog out of that miserable life of a neglected prisoner.

Update (Friday): After praying a bit and talking to a friend, the first thing I think I will need to do is to get the support of my dad. He is a pretty reasonable chap and he does like dogs. Just that any strife with neigbour will put him in a difficult situation. So I think I would talk to him properly and try to convince him that he should help Jasor too...

5 comments:

Adrian Choo said...

i think prayer is the right way to go. will think of a way to help out, short of going to the authorities are creating a downright ruckus (which i will gladly participate in!). these people are despicable! why buy the dog in the first place?!

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew, Adrian. They think of dogs as a 'thing' rather than a personality or a responsibility. I view dogs as gifts, and my utmost responsibility to take care of them well. It's our God-given duty!

jesscet said...

Thanks for your support on this and esp Messy for posting on your blog. Your post really spoke out for me and how i really feel about this.

I know some people would feel that dogs are just animals and there're more underprivileged human beings that we could help out and fight for their rights. Of course those causes are important. but what really bother me is ppl like my neighbours who have all the money and resources to live a good life yet treating their dog as another no-life play thing that they own. They really need to be educated on what it means to keep a pet. And if they don't believe in it, then they should NOT own a pet in the first place.

I guess many dog lovers will urge me to report the case to SPCA. But I really don't want to stir things up (and make my father upset - read previous posts) if there're other ways.

According to my vet, the SPCA won't do anything if the dog has shelter and food, and is not physically abused. Freedom it seems is not important at all...

BUT i can see it is VERY important for Jasor - a fun-loving Goldie. He is living an ultra miserable life with no love, no interaction with his `family' and that would affect both his physical and his mental health too..

Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe the vet is wrong - who knows? Keeping a dog 24/7 for two months in a cage, however IS abuse, no matter what he says.

But the question is this - how long can you see Jasor in the cage? Could you get a neighbourhood committee to confront the people instead of just you alone? Do you all have one?

jesscet said...

yeah, I had thought about that. But I have a strong feeling they won't do anything as they probably feel it is the owners right as it's their dog! (mind u most of them have the same mentality)

i think i need to pray that my dad will reconsider and willing to take up this cause. he has more influence than me definiely.

he knew about my confrontation with the neighbours over this and that idiot neighbour even told the other developer (about the `war' plus my blog!) so they brought it up to my dad.. they probably think i am a nosy parker who meddle into their family-dog matter. And my dad, who likes dogs but feels `neighbourly' harmony is more important asked me not to interfer nor bring out this matter again to the neighbour or the neighbourhood ppl!!

If we report SPCA and if SPCA responds, then all will KNOW it is me and i can't even imagine the wrath and disappointment of my dad.

You see, that's the dilemma i am in! :((