Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Triple Dose of the Famous J.C.

Today I had an overdose of `the most famous Chinese man in the world'.

Although I have never really thought of Jackie Chan as that, but the accolade given by his new movie co-star, Bollywood bombshell Mallika Sherawat is not that far fetched if you think about it.

Who doesn't know Jackie Chan? Which of you have never watched his movie before?

Although I am not a mega fan, I must say that I've practically watched ALL his movies since the late 1970s, somehow... And since I'm covering Chinese entertainment now, I had also met him in person. And yeah, he's pretty nice for a mega superstar.

Anyway, back to the `overdose' of J.C.

This morning I woke up earlier than usual for the media preview of `The Myth', J.C.'s latest movie that will open on Sept 23. It was rather interesting and enjoyable, with a clever plot and I like the way it's filmed. I won't devulge more but just say it's entertainment and also historically and culturally enlightening. As you can guess form the title, it is something different from the usual J.C. action flicks (think Police Story) but with mythical and unrealistic contents. It has all the ingredients of a successful commercial movie - action, thrills, humour and even romance (yeah, u hear right) shot in exotic locations across Asia.

So we got to see two hours of Jackie Chan solid. As usual, he dominates the whole movie.

After that, a group of us journos had lunch at Mid Valley. Most of the others decided to `lepak' before the press conference with J.C., Mallika and`The Myth' director Stanley Tong at 3:30pm.I, meanwhile, had to clear and send in some stories and rushed back to office which is fortunately near by.

To everyone's astonishment, the P.C. started early. Yes, not on time but earlier than the stated time. Thus many reporters were late, including me who was stuck in the Jln Bukit Bintang crawl. So we missed the beginning bit but others filled us in. (we might be from rival papers but we always help each other).

It was held at the plush Carlton Convention Centre adjacent to the ever-so-quiet (and posh too) Star Hill Gallery.

Needless to say, it was J.C., who is also the producer of the movie who dominated the scene. Poor director and scriptwriter Stanley Tong (Police Story 3&4, Rumble in the Bronx, China Strike Force) only got to say a few sentences while Mallika got her fair share of limelight.

But her over-the-top flattering praises for J.C. - the most famous chinese man, a living legend, the man with the best director, writer, actresses in his movies etc.. etc. - was just too much and made me want to puke.

(This is my only avenue to say it out as I obviously can't so describe her like that in my article - for those who don't know, I write for The Malay Mail Buzz - entertainment section.)
Anyway, the p.c. lasted pretty long. I even had chance to ask J.C. a couple of questions which he looked me in the eyes when he replied. (read my article to find out :p) This time round, there were limited one-on-one and only reserved for Chinese papers. The Star meanwhile had earlier asked to interview Mallika, which I'm glad I don't need to do so.

I was dying to go to gym as I have been planning to since last Thursday. So after some tea and chit-chatting, I decided to drive back to Mid Valley first and then only go back to office to work for a while.

When I entered the gym, guess who I saw again?

J.C.! There are several giant posters and banners with a beaming Jackie in various challenging poses - including an upside down hand-stand! There is even a corner that has a list of his filmography and photographs of his move roles.

Of course, all these `decorations' have been there for months now. After all, the full name of my gym is `California Fitness Jackie Chan Sport'. Mr J.C. had joint venture with the fitness chain and own one centre each in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singpore.

So there you are. Triple dose of a celebrity `J' today and I feel a little `tired' already...

On the other hand though, I would never grow tired of seeing my two Js.. :)

2 comments:

Chipmunkrock said...

quite a long post eh?

jesscet said...

yeah well, that's why i am not posting tonite (tues nite) - that's for two days.. haha