Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Idol Phenomenon

Did something quite out of the blue tonight.. I followed my colleague to watch Malaysian Idol Spectacular Show LIVE in Shah Alam!

After all, this was the LAST Spec before the grand final next weekend at Genting Highlands, But no, i am not a fan. In fact, I have only caught about 3 shows (spec and result shows combined) this whole season. I also caught the pre-spec show where the Idols hopeful went through series of `auditions' and only a handful made it. But that was by accident as I didn't feel well that Friday night so I stayed at home.

However, as the elimination process took place and the contestants were narrow down to last four, the curiosity streak in me also thickened. I managed to catch last weekend's show and saw how Faizul was `kicked out'.

Unlike Jaclyn Victor who was a clear favourte with her impressive vocal prowess and style last year, I would say it is more an open game as all three have fair chances. So I thought it would be interesting to watch this Spec show live to see how they `battle' it out.. Personally I kinda favour Daniel - call me bias but I think he is quite sweet and for a change it would be nice to have a guy, especially a Chinese guy in the final!

Alas, Daniel didn't do too well tonight. He chose the wrong song for the Malay number and his diction for English song just couldn't do (he attempted Can You Feel The Love Tonight but sounded quite bad to me). Both Farah and Nita fared better and many were impressed, including the judges, by Farah's rendition of `All By Myself'.

What amazed me was not how these three finalists performed - I think they did pretty well overall considering they're not professional singers - but the crazy fans at Sri Pentas studio! I mean to me these three are just participants of a reality talent show, and well, at least one is on the road to stardom; but to these crazy fans, Daniel, Nita and Farah are ALREAY their idols!

The atmosphere was totatlly hot and my ear drums also suffered. There were unceasing loud screams and cheers when the idols were on stage and off stage. I felt as if I was in a pop concert of a top celebrity act! On top of that, these fans took the trouble to create posters with their `idol's' names and supportive messages on them, and kept waving these posters throughout the show.

I am sure some of these `fans' are family members and friends of the contestants but many more don't even know the three finalists. We bumped into a few young chaps carrying posters of Farah in the lift and they said they liked her and vote be voting, but they don't know her at all.

From the amount of cheers and posters, it was quite apparent that Farah's fans have outnumbered Daniel's and Nita's supporters. A group of fans even gave Farah a standing ovation after her last song!

Perhaps I am getting a bit old but I find all this intriguing. Well, I have had `idols' when I was younger.. in fact, many know I still do (loyal fan of Alan Tam) . But my `affection' for them was merely pinning up their posters or if got chance, attend their concerts. Yeah, I had cheered and screamed when they sang on stage...

But the fact is, they were already established and popular artistes who have released sellable albums and have thousands of fans in and outside their own countries.

So what makes these finalists become idols with so many loyal fans and supporters, despite having certain talents in singing and showmanship, is something I just could not comprehend. After all, they are still `normal' people doing things you and I do daily..

The same also applies to other contests such as Akademi Fantasia. Look at the Mawi phenomenon but I'm sure even BEFORE he grabbed the title, he already had girls and guys screaming their lungs out for him.

Anway, back to the three Idol finalists, I think Daniel's chance is slim to be contesting at Arena of Stars on Friday. I had hoped a guy and a Chinese (not repeating last year's Jac vs Dina scenario) could be in the final but I am not placing my hope high.

I can hear die hard fans saying: do your bit and VOTE for him!

But Sorry lah, while for last year's final, I was influenced by some MI fanatic friends to send smses to vote for Jac, I won't be spending a sen this time on deciding who is the next Malaysian Idol. (each sms costs 50 sen)

Anyway, none of them look like they lack any votes anyway.. And whoever it is that wins the prestigious `MI' title next Saturday night, the other two are already idols in their own right.

p.s.Forgot to mention earlier that I `accidentally' won a set of tickets to MI Finale! The hosts were giving out free tix during commercial breaks with give-away questions. Thanks to a lady near me who gave a wrong answer to something I knew (who does the idols' hair? she answered Maggie Loo!) my friend made me put my hands up and yeah, the mike came to me and I said `Winnie Loo' and received the tix! However..it's unlikely I will go - already have something on and also, not that crazy enough to go all the way there alone. Anyone wants ONE set of tix to MI Finale? Let me know..

Update (Sun nite) - I predicted wrongly. Apparently having more fans at the Specs doesn't nec. mean you are more popular overall.. Don't know how everyone voted but the results came as a pleasant surprise! Yes, Daniel got throught to the Final and had most votes! Joining him is Nita, who I actually thought has the best voice and showmanship out of the trio. Apparently the votes were really close.. and a tearful farewell to Farah and her devoted fans. So, it should be an interesting Grand Finale Show and now I'm beginning to think whether I should go... :p

No comments: