Saturday, June 11, 2005

Re-Training and a New Beginning

I have made the decision. Jojo won't be sent away for training.

This afternoon (good thing there's not much work) I spent half-an-hour talking to an experienced trainer from MKA. And he wisely analysed some of Jojo's misbehaviour as well as the reasons for them, and gave me tips in training and handling him.

He does not advocate sending the dog to be trained by a trainer as it is a `lazy way'.

I learn (actually I heard this before but refused to follow) firstly: never to whack the dog. I need to be firm and fierce at times but not hit him. Though some ppl may disagree but I think it is true for Jojo coz he's getting so defensive and agressive now when he knows the whacking is coming. It does nothing to correct him.

I am told a dog needs a pack leader and to Jojo, I think it is my dad and not me. But unfortunately my dad is away quite often overseas.

Also, his naughty behaviour has nothing to do with Jelly. The trainer thinks dogs are not easily jealous espeically in Jojo's case, as he actually gets along well with Jelly. They are buddies..

The problem is, Jojo has become the dominant pack leader in this household especially when my dad us not around. So he overpowers everyone and has his own way.

Peeing in the house in one example to mark his territory. Then, he refuses to obey and to be corrected like when he chews something and we tell him not to.

I am also reminded again that dogs are totatlly forgetful creatures so you must discipline them instantly when the `crime' is being or just been committed. They also don't reason like humans so they don't feel remorse for their crimes. They only respond to stimuli and situation.

Also, the trainer says you should NEVER give in to your dog when disciplining him. You must persist on the corrective measure so he knows who is boss!

When I ask, he thinks its better that someone from the home to train Jojo and be his pack leader. But this person must also bond with him, someone he can play with. He thinks I should be the one.

Then he suggested me to take Jojo to the field during the obedience class on Sunday afternoons and he would be there to help train Jojo. Though Jelly has not completed her basic Canine Good Citizen course that Jojo has, the trainer rightly pointed out that Jojo needs training more than Jelly.

Finally I also learn that it's not too late to train a dog at two.

After I made up my mind on this issue, a new hope dawned on me and I see Jojo's problem in a new light. I am going to be serious, firm yet still loving to him, and bearing in mind what the trainer has said.

I want this to be a fresh beginning.

So dear Jojo, lets work this out together shall we? :)

No comments: