Monday, June 13, 2005

Hard Work and Patience Shall Pay Off.. One Day

Let me tell you it is HARD WORK to be a good, gentle and firm disciplinarian.. you need much grit, patience and a lot of love. But at least it is showing results!!

Yes, thanks to the tips from the trainer (which I should have known if I read those books I bought on dogs and training properly) Jojo has been showing some positive signs of improvement and some encouraging changes in his behaviour!

When there is an action, there is a reaction. Now that my action has changed, so has Jojo's reaction.

No, there is no miracle here.. he has not become a totally obedient canine. He is still naughty, still stubborn and still shows signs of agression. BUT, he bends and relents and responds to my training.

I better reiterate the TWO GOLDEN RULES that I tried out and would stick to.
1. NEVER whack him under any circumstance. Replace by authoritative and harsh tone.
2. ALWAYS praise and reward when he does right, listens and relents.

The things Jojo does can even challenge your sanity at times. For instance, your patience is seriously tested when you try to make him not chew the scrap papers from the bin. You have to bend down to his level and tell him off when he usually would not listen. Then you need to use strong and loud vocal chords!!

Jojo doesn't relent when he gets whacked, nor does he respect and listen to gentle coaxing. As a pack leader, you need to exert the right amount of `force' so that he will fear you. So, a loud, thunderous groan of `NO!' accompanied with a fierce and `I mean business'-looking face should do the trick.

And if it still doesn't, you have to tone it down a little, with just the right amount firm persuasion. And if he does eventually drop off the piece of paper, you can't snatch it immediately! The defensive and aggressive emotions in Jojo would mean he would sink his teeth on your hand! So what you have to do now is slowly, gently and smilingly pet his head to let him know you are on a friendly term and not gonna whack him.

(`you' actually refers to the mommy as you can guess)

Anyway, some good news to report. For two days in a row, I managed to stop Jojo from biting more things in my room although it was not easy! On top of that, he actually listens to me when I call him to come to me shorly after disciplining.

And, guess what? he would even voluntarily come to me and lay his head on my lap, starving of affection just like he used to do when he was a puppy.. I feel we are now truly bonded again..

No comments: