Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Busybody for doggie's welfare

Ok, some might think that I am such a busybody but after months of enduring what I saw, I just had to speak it out to the right person.

This is about Jasor, one of the neighbour's Golden Retriever, which for the last three months, has been constantly chained to a huge Jeep in the garden. The area is not under the shade too.

Well, at times, they do bring him out for a walk, like that time the three Js played together. But it is just once in a while. Whether anyone is home or not, day or night, poor Jasor is always stuck at one place. Freedom is a word that eludes him.

Once when the owner (man of the house) was near my place, I took the opportunity to gently bring it out and all he said was: the dog always wants to chew their shoes! HELLO!! Can't you keep your shoes in a cupboard like we do? Of course, I just kept quiet.

Tonight, when I brought the Js for a short walk and passed Jasor's home, Jelly suddenly let out a few howls and cries, as if to protest for her good friend. Poor Jasor gave that blank, lifeless look as usual, so different when he was allowed to be out walking or playing with my Js. I really fear he would become `retarded' due to inactivity.

Then the eldest boy, about 14, came out and immediately, I summoned him to the gate and told him I needed to talk to him. I gave him a mini sermon, chastising them for not treating Jasor properly as the dog needs its space too. I told him having a dog is like having a kid, you must not treat it like a toy with no feelings.

I talked on, and I knew he was listening for about three minutes. Then I told him, since he is the oldest son, he probably has some power of influence on his parents. Please do the necessary I said before I call in the SPCA.

All the while, he was putting his head down, not talking back, as if ashame. I just hope he realised what they had been doing was wrong.

As I walked home, I couldn't help feel good about what I did although I am not sure whether this would influence and change Jasor's fate to the better.

Well, at least I did what I could. And I won't hesitate speaking to the father if necessary!

No comments: