Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Some `Highlights' Amidst the Mundane...

Monday. I seemed to be the only one working on my desk. :( a few colleagues, including my editor, are on leave while others were not much around to be seen..

Anyway, just a few `highlights' today..

1. BACK TO GYM. Finally, went to gym today (i mean Monday) after work. Have not stepped foot into my gym for more than a month (since a week and more before the China's trip) - thus wasting the RM134 monthly fees I pay! However, only managed to exercise for 40 mins or so as it was already 9pm when I started! I really marvel at fellow bloggers fatboy and lynn who religiously keep their exercise routine. Well, in a way, I did miss gym and not surprisingly, after such a long break, I found that my stamina has gone down.. :( I couldn't run (at jogging pace) for 15-20 mins without slowing down like before..

2. FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD. It's a good thing I went to gym because before that, I was stuffing myself with food. We had a sumptuous tea-party at office. Friends from the newsdesk decided to throw a party for a colleague's birthday (sports writer Ghaz turned 24! so young!) but it was also an excuse for all of us to eat. We even had food from Equatorial hotel so it was like a big feast at 5pm just for the Malay Mail. (not enough to feed the NST folks as well.. :p) I didn't even manage to try all the variety..mainly fattening stuff.

3. `O HOLY NIGHT' SOLO. Some of us are singing for our church's Christmas Cantata and we have been practising on Sunday afternoons. For the first time I'm singing soprano (always alto in choirs) - 1st soprano to be precise. We had some really high notes to reach and when we had to screech, we don't quite sound flattering (more at HL's blog) But surprisingly, I manage to reach those notes (how nice it sounds is another matter), thank to the vocal training that I have been taking.

Yesterday, the choir director was looking for female singers to `audition' for the solo/duet part of `O Holy Night'. Well, must admit I do like singing (known to hog mikes during karaoke and even entered small-scale karaoke contests but never won) and since I've learned the song with my 1st vocal teacher before, I thought would just give it a shot. But I didn't prepare at all before hand... I thought I did ok but could have been better.

Then today at Yahoo IM, I was told by HL that I was one of the three who has been selected for the solo part. There was an email informing me but didn't see it earlier. I'm suppose to go earlier on Sunday and try singing the 1st verse and then joine with my two friends.

Shortly after that, I even got a few congratulatory notes online and sms.. a bit shy.. :p

To be honest, am a little surprise that I am in. But am also quite happy that for the first time in my life, I'm singing a solo part in a production, although it is just going to be 1 or 2 verses including duet..

Just hope that I will do `O Holy Night' justice when I sing - it's such a beautiful song. In fact, we all ought to sing with our best voices for the Lord, and I believe we are going to do that, though we are no professional singers!

No comments: