Thursday, November 24, 2005

Books! O (My Neglected) Books!

I confess I own in excess of many things.. a victim of consummerism as a friend once commented. But I think the most `wasteful' (not that they have no value but that they've been totally underutilised) things are.... my BOOKS!

As I was looking for a particular book from the various shelves in my room just now, it suddenly hit me that I had SO MANY books that I have not read before. `So many' is an understatement. In fact I would say more than 95 per cent of them I had not even touched. Some I had started reading a chapter or two and left abandoned.


The books on my shelves, numbering close to 100 of them - are divided into two main categories - fictions and Christian books. Just to clarify that although I bought many books, the bulk of fictions especially my shelves were free, so to speak. Yeah, the perk of being a journo ( in NSTP only) - we are entitled to RM100 book allowance a month!

Everytime when I bought a book, I was always eager to read it - or so I thought. But ended up many best sellers and award-winning novels from years back still sat on my shelves untouched!

Meanwhile, I have become a mini library for my cousins and a couple of friends.. I am very happy to lend out the books (as I'm running out of space to store them) provided I do get them back!


Besides books, I have hundreds (maybe even thousands) of CDs and cassettes (not all are displayed on these cluttered sheives) But at least I can claim that I have listened to all the albums though some old ones I had not listened for a long long time.

Sadly, it IS books that have been neglected most. Besides a feeling of guilt, I wonder whether I've become so shallow - reading blogs seem far more entertaining.. though I can remember the satisfying feeling of burying myself in a good book.

Hmmm.. the last book that I completed from beginning to end was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. And before that I think it was Da Vincci Code and Angels and Demons - more than a year back! O dear, is my reading aptitude limited to the high profile`page-turners'?

Still I believe books are an investment.. I would continue to buy but sparingly (after all I still could claim back the money!). But I really want to be a reader again.

Sigh, it is now bit late to read The Magician's Nephew at the shelf near my bed. I began some time back. My aim is to complete The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe before I watch the movie!

p.s. I have completed the whole series of Narnia in second year Uni. That was ages ago so need to refresh memory.

7 comments:

jesscet said...

Hi, welcome here and thanks for ur kind words :) errr no i don't know Jennifer Weiner. Any specific titles? will check it out!

lynnee said...

hi, jesscet... i think i have met u before... at subang fbc a couple years back...

u were with malay mail, am i right?

:)

great blog u have. especially love reading bout the doggies :)

Anonymous said...

Ayoyo, your library is so neat, not like mine, all shelved here there everywhere. ;)

And I'm so jeles (again) of the RM100 allowance. sniffsniff. We get RM200. PER YEAR. Ah!!

Can you guys buy second hand books or only from certain book stores?

Imagine what I can do with RM100 per month for books! =D

jesscet said...

lynnee> hi but errr i don't recall meeting u at subang fbc! pls refresh my memory. Are u still going there? Yep, am still with Malay Mail!

liz> hehe, come and work with NSTP lah! ;P we can buy any books/magazines (except children titles) from any book shop, even overseas! :D

Adrian Choo said...

Nice books and bookshelves. IKEA???? he he he ... come to my blog to check out Rio's latest furcut!

jesscet said...

HL> actually i did buy the adult version (for HP6) and got reimbursed. But they didn't classify Harry Potter as children's book though, which is good!

adrian> hey, how did u guess? the shelves were Ikea alright! Rio looks pretty cute.. hehe, first time i heard the term `furcut' (i just called it haircut or grooming) ;)

lynnee said...

jesscet: i was just visiting fbc then. friend was looking for a church then & we thought of fbc cos i know a few ppl there.

:)

i know eng lai, chor hon & felicia from fbc ;)