Monday, September 10, 2007

Hairspray is a blast!



What a movie to start a Monday morning! :)

When I received the invite from GSC for the preview of Hairspray! I just glanced at the cast and the poster and thought it should be quite nice..

I know it's set in the 1960s and thought it was a romantic comedy of sort.. but I didn't expect it to be a musical! And although it appears to be a teenage flick, but it's actually really fun and entertaining.. it's really a blast!!

John Travolta was amazing and almost unrecognisable in his role.. I know I was slow but i thought i remembered wrongly that he was in the show.. until during the end credit that I found out who he was!! And I was shocked! Yes, it was really wicked!

Oh, there's lots and lots of singing AND dancing.. real high energy stuff as well as some more moving moments. The music, reminiscent of the 1960s (think Grease) is really pretty catchy and melodious. I think I'll be going to get a copy of the soundtrack.

But what I love most about it is that they do away with the stereotypical. Instead of having a good-looking babe as the protagonist (which show does not do that?) our leading lady is this short and big girl but with a big heart. And boy, could she dance! Then there is her really huge mother and she's simply a gem.. and that you have to see for yourself ;)

It was really entertaining and fun - a comedy with wits. Besides the many amusiing antics, the dialogues were really hilarious too. I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time! (sorry, Rush Hour 3 was simply slapstick more than anything!)

And looking beyond all the fluff of dance and entertainment and beauty pageant and romance that make up the plot of the story, Hairspray is a tale to champion the underdogs and how one's dream can come true if you believe in it..

Anyway, without giving too much away, lets just say I thoroughly enjoy the movie and make me feel kinda young again.. :p

You see, it is one of those movies that after watching, immediately I know I don't mind catching it again!! The last one was Ratatouille though I wasn't compelled to write about it like this one.. perhaps it's just quite unexpected

Finally, wondering why the movie is called Hairspray? You have to watch it to find out!

No comments: