Thursday, October 30, 2008

My new car's first freak `accident'!

It's not really an accident as in there's no collision of any kind. But what happened earlier tonight (Wed night) was pretty freaky and shook/shocked me quite a bit!

I had spent close to three hours in Bangsar Village, buying some stuff and also went for manicure and pedicure (since there's friends' wedding on Sat which i'm playing a role in..). I had to be in town for choir practice at 8pm so I left about half pass seven. I came out of the carpark and everything was normal with my car. I took a slightly longer but less traffic route via the further end of Jalan Ara back to Jalan Maarof (sorry if u're non KL-ites) . I saw the traffic light turned green as I descended the hill and I went a bit faster to turn right to beat the light that was about to turn amber. This is something I have done many times on that junction.

Then as I turned right onto Jalan Maarof, suddenly the car cannot be controlled!! It suddenly hit me that the engine has shut down totally!! But thank goodness on the left was the carpark of a bungalow shop-house so I just did my best to manuever my car to the side so that I won't stall in the middle of the lane! I managed barely before it totally stalled and the engine couldn't be restarted. My first thought was that the battery had died (but it was only 5-month-old!?)

But no, as I stuggled to put on hazzard light, I saw dense smoke coming out from the bonnet, particularly from the left side. Two security guards who I think witnessed what happened came over and I got down the car.. another guy came out from the shop - it was Nike Golf - and asked me to open the bonnet. As they opened it, lo and behold! The battery top was on fire!! I was stun shocked a while as the few of them blew and did something to put the fire out. I also noticed the flame had burned and `scarred' a small part of the bonnet..

I was quite shocked and just blabbered as to how and why this happened!? one of the shop supervisors said the flame was most likely caused by wire short-circuit, as there was no prior warning of any problems before hand. He also kept saying that I was so `lucky', as he said the car could have exploded! Later as I just played back what happened, I felt I really was `lucky' - or rather I believe it was God's protection. It could have happened on a busier road and that my sudden stalling of the car could have caused accident.. and now the car actually stopped at a place where I had help by two guards and two shopkeepers. I even joked with my friend later that it could not happened at a better place then in Bangsar....

No way was I going to drive the car after this.. so I called got the Tan Cheong tow operators through the car salesman who sold me my car. I also called my dad - actually I already called him immediately after the incident but he was having dinner in town, then I called my choir director - a bit upset I couldn't make it as I was to sing in a group of 8. While waiting for the tow car to come, I also called a friend to tell her about what happened and I've escaped unscatched.

I was thinking of calling a cab home but remembered my friend who lives just up the road. She was just finishing her dinner nearby and said she could come and fetch me home and she arrived even before the tow truck came.. It took almost a whole hour for them to arrive!! There was one point the man started the engine to just drive the car up onto the truck (it's not towing it but carrying my car!) And that means my engine was ok...

So now my poor car is taken back to Nissan showroom/service centre.. I was told to call them tomorrow as the car technician would have to have a thorough check up. What happened was really unespected and dismaying to me as it was a brand new car and I have only used it 5 months and promptly sent it for servicing twice already. It had not given any problem at all... and then suddenly this!!!

I really hope there's nothing major that can't be rectified. In fact my friend who sent me home was so angry for me that such thing could happen to my new car and said I should ask for a replacement of a new car altogether!! but hmmm..the thing is this was the last unit! I personally feel if it's not a serious manufacture error, I think my car should deserve a second chance.. I really like it.

Fact is, whether it is people or car or anything, freak accidents do happenen. While I was a bit shaken and also a bit upset of what had happened to my car, I am actually more thankful that I am safe and sound.

It could have been much worse....

(ya, you can tell i am an optimist..and so if you're wondering, I'm feeling perfectly okay by now!) :)

1 comment:

suanie said...

maybe it was brought on by the last check up.
i think you have a cause for getting back a LOT of money ;)