Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Joseph Jackson: August 29, 1958 - June 24, 2009


I know this post comes a few days late.. but the news frenzy is still going on following the death of The King of Pop, a phenomenon in the entertainment world and arguably the most recognised man in the world.

I must admit I'm not really a fan, though I'm pretty familiar with his music especially from his 80s album. I mean, being a teenager, Michael Jackson's songs were some of the biggest hits ever.. and yes, I grew up dancing to his music! And some of his MVs still stuck in my head.

And his death is probably the biggest news this year that everyone talks about. So I thot I should `document' it in my blog..


Yes, he's a genius - brilliant in his music and dance move..and his explosive performances on stage just leave you breathless. I just re-watched the MV of Smooth Criminal on TV and was totally amazed at what he could do!! Till date, I can't think of artistes who could match him.. MJ is irreplaceable.

I had the opportunity to witness him live in concert when he came to KL for his concert tour in 1996. But because of the huge huge crowd, I was also quite away and by now could not recall most of it.. Nevertheless, at least I could say I was there..



Despite all this unprecedented success and achievement in the entertainment world, sadly MJ was a tormented soul inside. His personal life was so controversial and `colourful' - in the wrong way. From his repeated plastic surgery that had practically disfigured his face to his uncommon relationship with young boys and his many weird and perculiar affinity.. there were much flaks and negative reports on this great entertainer.. he even earned the non-flattering moniker `Wacko Jacko'.

Already for more than a decade, his career has not really revive. And although his death is untimely - he's scheduled to hold 50 concerts in London next month! - I somehow feel the sudden departure may have saved him from more disgrace.. afterall, his health has been detiorating..

But now in his death, as said in so many reports, MJ shall be remembered for his iconic status in the entertainment world and the legacy of some of the most popular and well loved music of all time.

To be honest I am still a bit baffled at the non-stop coverage of all media following his death, and the out pour of his fans grief was also quite incredible. MJ is probably the only artiste who has legions of fans in every country and continent.

So it just point to the fact that Michael Jackson is truly THE King of pop, and the biggest superstar of our generation, and ever-living legend.

RIP, MJ.

No comments: