Thursday, August 06, 2009

What a `Tit Tar' experience!

Usually my dad has pretty good recommendations - especially when it comes to food. But this time, I hoped I hadn't taken his advice..

You see, because of my sprained foot that was getting move painful overnight, i was planning to go to a professional tit tar place which i went before in Sea Park, PJ when i sprained my foot/ankle two years back.

But then my dad said I should go to the one `near' our place. They are very good and professional and always have lots of customers (or patients?)

So I took his advise, thinking that PJ is a bit far to drive all the way.. but.. the whole tit tar experience turned out to be quite an ordeal..

First, it wasn't exactly near.. it's almost 20 mins drive (just 5 more I would reach that tit tar place in PJ! ) Can you imagine just to see a tit tar, I waited a whole TWO hours before getting treatment. When you enter the place, you feel you're in a time warp - that you've entered a 1950s Chinese shoplot. Maybe it was older even. And ya, the whole place was quite dingy andd run down.. they even boil their medicine (i guess its for application) in the toilet!

(I wished i had taken some photos!)

I know what made my dad think they're so good. Cos the place is always full with people. It's extremely popular among the local folks - especially middle age and elderly men and I guess for that reason I thought i was in the right place..

When we reached, we had to pick a card with a no. and then just wait for your turn. My no. was `26' and after quite a long while, someone came out from one of the rooms and a woman shouted `10'. I knew I was in for a loooong wait... and true enough..

After making some important calls, poured all through the Chinese papers my mom brought (good thing I have her company) and doing some sms, went to toilet twice, I began to feel impatient.. It was nearly 1pm and we had been there for almost 2 hours!!

FINALLY, my turn came.. I was greeted by a grouchy-looking man whom I figured out was the sifu going to treat me.. After taking my seat and as I began to relate what happened to me (I fell, and hurt my left foot etc) he just didn't seem interested but started doing some `massage checks' on both my feet, calves and even body.

Being the outspoken person I am, I just asked why was he checking other parts of my body but instead of replying he snapped at me and ordered me to turn around and even checked my back. To be honest, my intention wasn't to question what he did (he surely has a reason) but just want to know more. But instead, he just snubbed at me saying that I had no idea of what he does so there is no point he wants to answer me.. Now I can't remember exactly our conversation but some ppl may think we were arguing.. But I just wanted to clarify my point..

And when I said why was he so grouchy, he admitted it and said how could he be in a good mood just after a fight with someone. And I was unlucky to be treated next!!

Inside I was rolling my eyes big time. Ok, now I guess I know whey he was in a foul mood was pretty rude. Anyways, although we didn't get off in a good start, at least he took quite a long time to massage my left foot and leg.

However, as I tried to seek his advise, he wasn't being helpful and gave ambiguous answers. He didn't tell me what was wrong with my foot.. I said some ppl think it's better to go for x-ray then he would ask why I decided to see them. And whether I think I should need X-ray?

You can tell he was not professionally trained.. and he never admitted he was. In fact, he later disclosed he learned `tit ta' from his father-in-law and brother-in-law, who were the founders of this tit ta place. He also said their tit tar style is unique in that no one else in KL do it this way.. And that the amount of people who come to them is already a testimony..

Anyways, at least the `urut' part wasn't that painful. And after asking him again, he just said it wasn't that serious and I just should walk fast. But when I asked him whether he thinks I should go to Genting this Saturday (going for Michael Hui's talk show), he said just try to `adjust'.. he was saying I can walk and function normallly, but later he sorta contradicted himself and said I better rest my foot more..

At one point, another man (he said was the sifu of this place) came in and just touched my legs/feet and stepped on my left foot (where the swell was but surprising, it wasn't that painful)

He did spend quite a lot of time massaging my foot and leg. In the last part, I was asked to lie on my tummy on a bed - for him to urut the foot and leg form another angle. And there was a pillow there and I couldn't help wondering how clean it was but too late I was lying on it!!

I was given the `tit tar jau' and also some `tit tar pills' (even my dad said he was sceptical and didn't take those last time). And before I could say anything he said it's up to me as many of his patients couldn't be bother to put on/ eat medication at home. I said i wanted to heal fast so I will but he still said the same thing..

But finally, after paying (it was a reasonable RM35) the man suddenly softened and said he felt he was a bit in the wrong in the beginning.. To which I said no worries..

When we got home, it was 2pm. We left house before 11am. I could have done or rested with all those waiting time wasted!!

Ok, I know I should give them the benefit of the doubt.. maybe the urut and the medication really work.. But, even so, I doubt very much I would ever go back there shall I need a tit tar agan!

3 comments:

Lim Chang Moh said...

Hi Jesscet, hope your leg is better now. Have a doctor check it out.

jesscet said...

Yes it's much better already. thanks. i think the tit tar also helped - it was a light sprain i think.

how're u doing?

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Heya! Please get well soon! What a crappy place! Tit tar sifu my black ass!

Love to Jojo and Jelly!